Position Title: Town Manager
Reports to: Town Council/Town Mayor
Direct reports to this position: all municipal staff
FLSA Status: Exempt
Pre-Hire Requirements: This position requires successful passing of a criminal background and motor vehicle check.
The Town Manager is responsible for developing short and long-range plans for the Town of Mt. Crested Butte with guidance from the Town Council and assists in the achievement of common goals and objectives. Will carry out the policies adopted by the Town of Mt. Crested Butte
Town Council. This role provides professional administration, management and supervision of municipal departments and staff.
1. Functions as the Chief Administrative Officer of the Town of Mt. Crested Butte
2. Works with Town Clerk and Mayor to prepare Council Meeting agendas and materials for biweekly meetings and special sessions, attends all meeting of the Town Council and participates in an advisory capacity
3. Works with Finance Officer to prepare a comprehensive annual operating budget.
4. Works with the Finance Officer to provides written report on the finances and administrative activities quarterly and at the end of each fiscal year.
5. Ensures fiscal responsibility and modern accounting and financial reporting practices
6. Develops performance measurement systems for municipal services
7. Plans for short-term and long-term financing for capital projects
8. Works with the Mayor to make recommendations for appointments and removal of relevant non-staff positions and membership on committees
9. Recruits, hires, supervises, and evaluates the town workforce, including annual performance reviews, policies and procedures, and compensation and benefits
10. Provides oversight of personnel functions, policies and procedures, classification and compensation plans and benefits
11. Assures compliance with relevant federal laws and regulations, Colorado General Laws and municipal charter, ordinances and regulations
12. Serves as the Chief Procurement Officer
13. Oversees and manages property and assets
14. Applies for and administers federal, state and private grant funds
15. Acts as the liaison with state and federal government, local civic and business entities, and interested members of the public Town Manager Job Description 9/2020 Page 2 of 3
16. Enforces all terms and conditions of any contract, including any public utility franchise, to which the Town is a part or party
17. Facilitates the flow and understanding of goals, ideas and information between and among elected officials, employees, and citizens
18. Performs other duties as may be assigned by the Mayor or Town Council
19. Places high priority on quality customer service, and demonstrates continuous effort to improve operations
20. Encourages transparency and public engagement on town matters
21. Occasionally travels to off-site locations for work, errands, or training
Other Duties: Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
o Financial Aptitude o Communication/Listening
o Critical Thinking o Exceptional Customer Service Skills
o Organizational Skills/Deadline Driven o Leadership
o Good Judgment o Collaboration/Conflict Resolution
o Budgeting/Resource Management
o Innovation /Creativity
o Short and long-term planner
o Safety/Liability Management
o Thoroughness, Detail Oriented
o Ability to work under pressure
Education, Training and Certifications:
• Master’s Degree in Business or Public Administration preferred or the equivalent in relevant experience
• Minimum 5-10 years of commensurate experience in public administration or a field closely related
• A clear motor vehicle record and valid Colorado Driver’s License are required
Knowledge, Skill and Ability Requirements:
1. Demonstrated success with responsible management experience
2. Success in developing organizational goals in alignment with the Town Council’s strategic initiatives
3. Ability to assess potential risks and benefits of Council and staff decisions and effectively communicate these in making sound decisions for the Town.
4. Ability to effectively manage the budget and finance process and priorities Town Manager Job Description 9/2020 Page 3 of 3
5. Demonstrated skills in leadership, communication, engaging and motivating staff, and working effectively with the public
6. Knowledge of local, county, state, and federal laws that impact the Town
7. Ability to use independent judgment and assume full responsibility for decisions and actions
8. Ability to oversee and motivate key department managers and staff
9. Skilled at implementing best practices for internal policies and procedures
10. Effective communication skills with Council, staff and community
11. Operation of personal computers and related equipment and software including advancedlevel word processing, spreadsheets, and database software and management
12. Fluent in English language, proper grammar, punctuation, and spelling in oral and written communication.
13. Fosters innovative ideas and streamlines operations to provide value for customers and the community
14. Acknowledges and takes action to implement Strategic Plan and Climate Action Plan created by Town Council
To apply please email your resume, cover letter and contact information for five (5) professional references to the Town Clerk at email@example.com or mail them to the Town of Mt. Crested Butte, Attn: Tiffany O’Connell, Town Clerk, PO Box 5800, Mt. Crested Butte, CO 81225.
To apply for this job please visit mtcrestedbuttecolorado.us .